We’re fighting a pandemic but it’s not the Coronavirus we’re talking about in this episode. No, we’re talking about Diabetes, an insidious disease developing so gradually it’s well established before its effects become apparent and all too often, deadly. Some quick facts from the CDC about Diabetes:
– More than 34 million people in the United States have diabetes, and 1 in 5 of them don’t know they have it.
– In the last 20 years, the number of adults diagnosed with diabetes has more than doubled as the American population has aged and become more overweight or obese.
– Diabetes is the 7th leading cause of death in the United States (and may be underreported).
– Medical costs and lost work and wages for people with diagnosed diabetes total $327 billion yearly.
– Medical costs for people with diabetes are twice as high as for people who don’t have diabetes.
To take a deeper dive into this topic, the team is joined by Dr David Armstrong, DPM, MD, PhD, recognized as a world leader in diabetic foot care and limb salvage. He is professor of surgery at the University of Arizona in Tucson and also director of the University’s Southern Arizona Limb Salvage Alliance (SALSA). Dr. Armstrong has written more than 400 peer-reviewed research papers in more than three dozen scholarly medical journals as well as over five dozen book chapters and is co-editor of the American Diabetes Association’s Clinical Care of the Diabetic Foot, now entering its third edition. In 2011, Dr. Armstrong was appointed chair of the World Diabetic Foot Commission of the FIP, representing clinicians from more than 30 nations. Dr. Armstrong is the founder and co-chair of the International Diabetic Foot Conference, the largest bi-annual international symposium on the diabetic foot in the world.
Bringing a great deal of knowledge and experience, Dr Armstrong takes a deep dive with the team in this discussion about Diabetes, limb preservation and mortality. Grab a cup of coffee and join the conversation, Inside The Doctor’s Lounge!
Dr David Armstrong’s Rx For Success podcast episode https://rxforsuccesspodcast.com/the-storyteller-david-armstrong-dpm-md-phd/#more-15754